Pages

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Recipe Blogger I Am Not

So you know how I mentioned in yesterday's post that I made dinner for the Boy? Wanna know what I made? Sure you do! ( I know this 'cause I've been asked).

Now, once upon I time I had grand ambitions of being able to cook and take all these great pictures and blog about all the steps so that you would all love me and read my stuff and think I'm awesome. Well, here's the thing: This is real life.


So, instead, I'll post links to people who are FAR better at this than I am (*cough cough* The Pioneer Woman *cough cough*) and keep practicing until I figure out how to defy reality and make it work. 

For the pot roast, I actually used a hybrid recipe (part Pioneer Woman, part my Grandmother, part "well, I hope this works"). If you want a beautifully presented step-by-step recipe, check out the above link. That woman is FANTASTIC at what she does. I'm not even going to try and touch it. But, I will share the recipe.


Pot Roast
Ingredients:
  • 3-4 lb chuck roast
  • 2 large onions, halved
  • 8 carrots, chunked
  • EVOO
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • Steak seasoning (or salt and pepper if you'd rather)
  • 2 cans Golden Mushroom soup
  • 1 cup brewed coffee
  • 1 cup red wine (or beef stock)
  • 1 packet Beefy Onion soup mix
  • 3 sprigs fresh Rosemary
  • 3 sprigs fresh Thyme

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 300. 
  2. Prepare a large oven bag in a 9x13 roast pan (i.e. add 1 tbsp of flour and shake til coated).
  3. Mix together: 2 cans soup, 1 soup can of water, and 1 cup coffee. Pour mixture into the bag. 
  4. Season your beef with Worcestershire and desired seasonings. 
  5. In a large pan on med-high, heat EVOO until hot (but not smoking).
  6. Brown the onions on both sides in the hot oil (about 1 min per side) and set aside. Then brown the carrots in the same oil, turning regularly, about 1-2 min, and set aside. The goal is to brown the outside of the veggies before putting them in the roast, not to cook them, so don't worry about getting them "done." (BTW, the oil will try to attack you...be warned).
  7. Let the oil get hot again and place the meat in the pan, searing each side for about 1 min. 
  8. Once browned, remove from the pan and place the roast in the prepared bag.
  9. Deglaze the pan with 1 cup red wine (i.e. pour the wine into the hot hot pan and scrape the bottom to get all the yummy bits off), then add the wine to the bag.
  10. Sprinkle the packet of Beefy Onion soup mix over the roast.
  11. Add the veggies to the bag. Add the fresh herbs (make sure to submerge them in liquid).
  12. Tie the bag with the provided ties and cut six or so slits in the top of the bag.
  13. Place the dish in the oven and cook for 3-4 hours depending on the size of your roast.  

Now, you'll notice I didn't include potatoes in my recipe. I normally do, but we're trying to avoid those right now (holidays much anyone?), so they got nixed this time. I replaced them with a side of Brussles sprouts. 


My recipe for these is actually quite simple:
  1. Cut the sprouts in half and place on a large baking sheet.
  2. Drizzle with EVOO and salt and pepper (and a little garlic if you're so inclined).
  3. Toss in seasonings and turn the sprouts so they're facing cut-side up.
  4. Roast on 425 for about 30 min. 

And for dessert, 


"Skinny" Banana Pudding
Ingredients: 
  • Sugarfree Banana Cream pudding (the instant kind)
  • Non-fat milk
  • Bananas, sliced
  • Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers
  • Light Whipped Cream

Directions: 
  1. Crush a handful of Nilla Wafers in the bottoms of two small glasses.
  2. Prepare the pudding according to package directions. 
  3. Layer: pudding, sliced bananas, Cool Whip, cookies. Then, for fun, more pudding, bananas, and cookies. 
  4. Top with a dollop of Cool Whip, a slice of banana, and a Nilla Wafer. 

Easy enough, right? Go try 'em out. Check out Ree's blog while you're at it. Enjoy your creations. And come back and see me!

Til then, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment