Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Headed Home

They're letting me go home!!! The doctor just came in to check on me and said I looked great, that if I wanted to go home today, I could. So, off we go!

I'm actually going to go back to Memphis with Momma & Dad for a week or so, just to make sure I have someone with me while I continue to heal. (Plus, there aren't required stairs at their house AND they have this ridiculously awesome walk-in-shower.)

While I wouldn't want to re-live this experience, it hasn't been all THAT bad. For such a scary, painful few hours, the days and nights that have followed have been much better than I anticipated.

Matter of fact, I just want to brag on Washington Regional for a moment. Every nurse and doctor that I encountered during my stay was incredible. From the first two nurses that got me checked in and calmed down to each of my nurses and aids I had over the next few days, I've felt important and loved and completely safe. They listened and were attentive and were very gracious at all times (even when I might have been difficult in between pain med doses). They have made this stay almost TOO easy. Thanks.

As for what I've learned from this experience:

  • I'm now a jello connessiour. In my opinion, red > green > yellow. Unfortunately, there is a clear inverse relationship between the yumminess of the jello color and the number of times they serve it to you. Oh well...
  • Compression socks, which I know are necessary, are really annoying. I'd be okay never having to deal with those things again.
  • TLC has some annoying shows on now. And if I see Honey Boo Boo swinging around on the New Year's disco ball thing ONE MORE TIME...
  • 4 inch scars aren't nearly as scary looking as I expected them to be. Just kinda unattractive. Don't go asking to see my tummy any time soon. Or, you know, like ever. 
  • Sweatpants are a gift from God
  • Showers, heck even washing one's face, can make you feel infinitely more human.  
  • I am loved by so many people. Tons of friends and family have stopped by to check on me during my stay - each bringing sweet words, warm hugs, and a break from the exhaustion and pain. I love all of y'all for that. 

So now we're gonna make the trek to Memphis. It'll be a long ride, but I'm hoping I can sleep through most of it. I'll be glad to be home, in a bed I recognize, without having to wear about a thousand instruments and monitors connected to me.

Again, I really appreciate all the love and prayers I've felt coming my way. I've felt surrounded and cared for during this whole episode, and words can't express the gratitude I feel towards each and every one of you.

I'll keep everyone updated on my progress over the next week or so.

Til then, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment