Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

PIGShibition!

I know I've gone temporarily MIA. I'm not dead, just have LOTS to do. Until I can update y'all on all my goings-on, enjoy a whole bunch of pictures of pigs. 


Every month (well...from March to October), Fayetteville holds an event called First Thursday Fayetteville on the square. It's one of the many many things I love about my sweet little town.


Everybody shows up with kids, dogs, and boyfriends in tow and wanders the square for a few hours while listening to live local bands and purchasing handmade goodies from talented local crafstmen. There's also generally a charity beer garden and a plethora of food trucks. In the summer, they even set up a huge screen and show family friendly movies once the sun goes down. 

Have I mentioned I live in one of the best cities in the world?

This month, FTF also featured several of the Pigs from the infamous PIGShibition project. 


PIGShibition is a fundraiser put on by the Ozark Literacy Council that is designed to draw awareness to local literacy issues while supporting both the Council and local artists. The group commissioned 25 pig statues and challenged the community to sponsor local artists to customize them for display around town. The project started last summer and will culminate in the "Piggies Go To Market" event next week where 11 of the 25 will be sold at auction. The other 14 will remain on display in their current locations. 

The 11 that are being sold are currently on display on the square, so we went to take pictures with all of 'em before they head to new homes. Aren't they adorable?

"When Pigs Fly"

"K.R." (aka the Bikes Blues and BBQ Pig)

"Penny the Pop Art Pig"

"Road Hawg"

"Pig Up a Book and Read"

"Sweet Pea"

"Pig Spender"

"Aenar"

"Ferdinand"

"Pigtopia"

"The Reader" (my favorite)

As we wandered Fayetteville that night, we also spotted two other pigs (bonus!)

"Gone Underground"

"Pig Easy"

Stay tuned for even MORE pig pics as I find 'em around town.

No comments:

Post a Comment