Pages

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Askin' My Girls

In yesterday's post I mentioned the custom invites I made for each of my girls. If you don't mind, I'd love to show you what I did.

Since most of my girls live in another state (and I couldn't be there to ask them in person), I wanted to make sure I did it in a special way. I was inspired by a set I saw on Pinterest by Rinse.Repeat and decided I would borrow her idea and put my own spin on it.

I found some unfinished wood boxes at a local craft store that came in various sizes (perfect for all the different ladies in my group), so I grabbed a full set - choosing large boxes for my maids, medium boxes for my junior maids and flower girl, and smaller ones for my house party ladies.

Since my wedding colors are browns and greens, I decided to stain the boxes a dark oak color. I also grabbed some chocolate, green, and cream colored paint for the inside and several pieces of chocolate felt to line the bottoms.




A couple tips if you're hoping to re-create these:

  1. Wear gloves when you stain. You're gonna get it EVERYWHERE.
  2. Watch the hinges. You can either painstakingly remove each one before you stain (to avoid staining the metal) then replace once the box is dry, or you can just stain everything and painstakingly clean each metal piece off with a Q-tip dipped in acetone. Both options are time consuming and tedious, pick your poison. 

Once the boxes were finished, I lined them with burlap (another wedding element) and filled each with an assorted set of goodies.

For the Bridesmaids' boxes, I started with a monogrammed handkerchief for each girl. Then, I added color swatches, some photos of dresses I like, a package of shortbread cookies and tea, and a set of cards with wedding details.


I then tied the burlap with a piece of twine and a crocheted flower, slipped a handwritten note telling them how much they meant to me (and asking them to be a part of my day) under the bow, and tied the whole box with a lace ribbon. I loved the way they turned out!



The Junior Maids and Flower Girl got a few of the same items in their boxes (a handkerchief and the detail cards), but I wanted to add some "fun" elements to theirs, so I also included some bright nail polish, lip gloss, and a headband.




The House Party ladies got boxes with handkerchiefs, tea, a detail card, and a note.



I then boxed them up and shipped them to five different states. I was able to deliver a few in person (all of Paul's cousins and one of mine live here), and watching them open them was so much fun! I'll remember those moments forever.

I also made a box for our ring bearer, but you'll have to wait for that post. Coming soon, I promise!

Til then, y'all. 

2 comments:

  1. Ok. You don't know me. I know your momma, though. I want to be in your wedding! Or just be a mouse in the corner to watch all the goody-making and and lovin' that is going into this affair.

    So enjoy your blog!

    Carol in Missouri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neat, Alana. The wedding activities are going to be so unique and fun, just like the bride!

    Tutu

    ReplyDelete