Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Red Carpet Cupcake Challenge

As part of its 50th Year Anniversary Celebration, Youth Bridge (a local non-profit) is hosting a special multi-tiered competition called "Cupcake a-Palooza." Events over the summer months will lead up to the grand finale: the Red Carpet Cupcake Challenge (to be held on Sunday September 8, 2013.) In this challenge, 4 contestants from two divisions - professional and amateur - will compete in a live baking contest before a panel of celebrity judges. Winners take home cash, prizes, a trophy, and bragging rights.

To enter, contestants submit a photo and description of a previously baked cupcake as well as a brief personal statement about their history with baking and why they're right for the competition. 

A selection of those contestants are then chosen to participate in Round Two, where they bake their submitted cake for a new panel of judges. 

Then, the top four in each division are eligible to advance to the live competition on September 8th where they will bake a "Red Carpet" inspired cupcake.

Sounds cool, right?

I might have entered.

A little...

And I might have made it to Round Two. 

A little...

And I might be a little bit nervous.

A little...

But it's gonna be fine, right?

Right... 

So, my next task is to make these bad boys for a panel of judges. Fingers crossed they like them as much as I do!

Salted Caramel Mocha Cupcakes
  • Description: Mocha cake with a chocolate-espresso ganache filling, frosted with salted carmel buttercream and topped with caramel drizzle and a few green sugar crystals. 
  • Design: I modeled these after one of my favorite Starbucks drinks, and I wanted to include (and highlight) all the fun flavors in the drink.
    • I used coffee to make the chocolate cake and included espresso in the ganache filling, giving it a lovely mocha flavor.
    • For the buttercream, I used my standard recipe and flavored it with a homemade salted caramel sauce - I wanted to control the sweet-to-salty ratio, so making the caramel myself allowed me to decide where the perfect balance was. 
    • I used a little of the remaining sauce to drizzle over the cakes and finished them off with a few green sugar crystals (to bring in the Starbucks green) and their characteristic green straw
    • For presentation, I wrapped the cakes in white ribbon and a green sticker to simulate the branding on the cup. 

Send all your happy/good luck/you'll be fine vibes my way, k? I'll let you know how it goes. 

Happy Thursday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment