Pages

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wedding Wednesdays: A Request

Hello friends & family! We're within the 2 month mark! Exciting, right?

As we get closer, we're to the point where I'm mostly working out little details and just trying to soak it all in - to remember this time for what it is (i.e. the happy stuff...not the stressful, icky parts).

One thing that's really helped me do that is, simply, putting down my phone. I've been making a conscious effort when I'm with loved ones to put my phone in my purse, on silent, and leave it there. It frees me from the never-ending barrage of emails, allows me to focus completely on the moment, and reminds me to mentally capture precious time (rather than trying to snap the perfect photos). Sure I still cave occasionally, but I've learned to love the "unplugged" feeling.

It's on that note that I have a favor to ask of all of you: we'd like to have a "mindful ceremony," and we need your cooperation.

I'd ask those of you joining us for the ceremony to kindly turn off any phones, tablets, or cameras you bring with you. Just for the ceremony.

During that time, I'd rather you fully experience the moments with us. Watch with your eyes and hearts - not through a lens or LCD screen. Really be present.

I'm sorry if this makes me sound demanding, difficult, or selfish, but...

(...wait...no...no I'm not. If this is the thing that's gonna peg me as "the difficult bride," I'm kinda okay with it. This is my wedding after all, right? I'm allowed to ask for what I want...)

Y'all, we've hired AMAZING photographers, and trust me, they will capture the moments perfectly. Please let them. I promise I'll share afterwards.

I appreciate the idea of y'all wanting to grab a few extra shots, but let's level for a minute:
  • They won't be as good as Dale & Mere's (sorry, guys...they won't)
  • You risk getting in their way during key shots (and robbing Paul & me of that photo - one of which may be of all of your smiling faces...don't make that image one of upheld cell phones)
  • And, most importantly, you miss the moment. Even if you capture a snapshot of it, you weren't really present. 

As guests at my wedding, I'd really rather y'all enjoy the moments in their fullest.

When I turn around to look at everyone who's come to share my day, I want to see:


I want to be able to see the faces of people who loved me enough to brave the January weather to celebrate with me. I want to remember spending time with people who were truly present, not caught up in documenting every moment. I want (official) photos of faces looking at me (accepting the selfish in that statement), not looking at screens. So, please friends, do this for me? Let's be different!

Now, during the reception, y'all go crazy! We'll have flip cams to share, an app for you to upload everything for us, and a super-awesome-neato-cool hashtag (#paulaynapalooza...just admit how awesome it is). Still be mindful not to get in Dale & Mere's way, but if you MUST grab that photo of us making funny faces, just make sure to tag it.

I'd really appreciate it. I think you will, too.

Thanks in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment