Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Welcome, April!

Happy April, friends!

Out of silent protest, I opted to delay my first April post until today. If you haven’t noticed, April 1 has become the day where everyone competes to see who can be the biggest troll on the Interwebs, and, well, I refuse to be a part of the rigmarole.

However, while April Fool’s Day might not be my favorite holiday, I hope you were able to enjoy it as you saw fit – fooling, being fooled, or hiding in your house to avoid the crazy. To each his own.

Now, on to the blog!

I wanted to let you in on what you can expect from the Valentines this month. What will our April be about?

In short, action. April will be about action.

In way of further explanation, let’s go back in time a bit. Back to January (when I, and the blog, were a bit preoccupied). In January, most of the population (and blogosphere) were busy cooking up and acting on New Year’s Resolutions. And, while I didn’t write anything to the sort, so was I…sort of.

See, I’ve found that Resolutions are, well, difficult to keep. I’ve also found that I tend to be, well, ambitious. So, rather than make a handful of New Year’s Resolutions that I knew I wouldn’t keep, I decided to make monthly resolutions.

The idea is that I’d dedicate each month to a change I wanted to make, one change, and focus my time and energy on making that one thing a reality. Then, ideally, at the end of the month, I’d have developed steady habits to keep that change going throughout the year and could move on to a different focus for the next 30 days.

12 resolutions, 30 days each. And it’s worked wonderfully so far!

I'm kind of deciding what each month's theme will be as I go. That way, as we go about our year, I can pick themes based on what fits best for our lives at the time.To update you, this is what my year has looked like so far:

January: “Just Married”
As simple as it sounds. I wanted to focus on being a Newlywed – enjoy the newness of everything and revel in this time that we’ll never get back (and that goes oh-so-fast).

February: “Family, Focus, Freedom”
I’ve hinted at this in earlier posts, but Feburary was all about being “in the moment.” Enjoying time with family (both new and old), focusing on experiencing the moments rather than capturing them, and thereby freeing myself from the constant pull of social media.

March: “Makeovers”
In March, I decided to make conscious decisions to makeover areas of my life – my closets and “stuff” (remember the 40 in 40 challenge? Update on that later), our pantry, my personal routine (I’d been making product decisions based on false loyalties, and wanted to re-ground my choices in what’s right for my present needs and budget), etc.

All of the changes I made in March have led me to my theme for April: Action.

In March, I found myself noting all sorts of “bigger” changes I wanted to make – landscaping the front yard, improved meal planning, better budgeting, blogging more regularly (and consciously), etc. But, since they weren’t simple makeovers, they just went on a list. So, in April, I’m going to try and do several of those things on that ever-growing “To Do” list.

I’m excited about this one. It’s probably partially due to simply being excited about the ability to go outside without risking hypothermia, but I’ll take it.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment